Blaze that Killed New York City Firefighter Was Electrical: Official

06 july 2014

The blaze that killed a New York City firefighter late Saturday is preliminarily believed to have been caused by an accidental electrical fire connected to a bedroom air conditioner, a law-enforcement official said.

Lt. Gordon Ambelas, 40 years old, was pronounced dead at Woodhull Hospital around 11 p.m. after being pulled unconscious from the apartment building in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, authorities said.

The second-alarm fire broke out just after 9 p.m. on the 19th floor of a 21-story building inside Independence Towers, a New York City Housing Authority complex on Wilson Street.

Lt. Ambelas, who had worked for the past several months in Brooklyn’s Ladder 119, and other firefighters were searching for victims when the apartment became hot and smoky, prompting rescuers to evacuate to the hallway, the official said.That is when they realized Lt. Ambelas was missing. After conducting a search, he was located in the doorway of a bedroom.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/articles/new-york-city-firefighter-killed-battling-blaze-1404631384

Comments

comments

About The Author

Related posts