Bushfires in Victoria and South Australia threaten homes

Bushfires in Victoria and South Australia threaten homes

Firefighters are battling out-of-control bushfires threatening homes in South Australia and Victoria.

Police have declared a major emergency and told residents that their lives are at risk.

South Australia’s fire chief said the blazes in the Adelaide Hills, northeast of Adelaide city, were the worst since the Ash Wednesday bushfires in 1983.

Those fires left 75 people dead and caused devastation across parts of Victoria and South Australia.

“At the moment, we have a fire which is extremely dangerous and it is burning under extremely adverse conditions,” South Australia fire chief Greg Nettleton was quoted as saying.

“Right at this moment, residents in the Adelaide Hills are being confronted by a fire which hasn’t been seen in the hills since the 1983 bushfires of Ash Wednesday,” Nettleton said.

Crews have also been battling bushfires in Victoria, with emergency alerts issued for Hastings, Bittern, and Crib Point south of Melbourne.

“Leaving now is the safest option, before conditions become too dangerous,” the area’s country fire authority. said.

‘Incredibly scary’

So far about five homes have been destroyed but authorities said this number could rise as strong winds fan the flames.

South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill urged residents in the areas at risk to leave immediately or prepare to stay and defend their homes.

“If you have decided to stay the fire could become incredibly scary and it could make you change your mind and leave.

“It could be a catastrophic decision to leave late.”

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30664760

Comments

comments

About The Author

Related posts