To start a career as an online freelancer, it is always best to start scouting for a reputable site that can surely bring you, as a newbie, into your path to riches. Surely, various freelancing sites post jobs for their freelancer members and at the same time promote their members’ profiles to clients. However, if you want to aim for a sure job with a trusted client, it is advisable to start your career with a high-ranking freelancing site on the World Wide Web today.
Being the largest outsourcing and freelancing community, Freelancer.com surely is one of the best sites to start a freelancing career. This site provides their clients, specifically owners of small businesses, with a pool of new and of course, long-time freelancers around the world. On the other hand, this site provides the freelancers an array of part-time or full-time jobs to choose from.
To start your freelancing career at Freelancer.com, you must first create an account on the site. Follow these ten steps and in less than no time, you will successfully create your Freelancer.com account.
1. Open your web browser and go to www.freelancer.com
3. Next, fill out the required fields specified on the page. On the first field, you are required to submit a valid email address. Remember that it should be a valid one since all communications and payment notifications will be sent to your email address. Apart from the email address, provide a username and a password.
4. After providing the necessary details, on the “I am looking to” check the box that says “Work.” Then click the “create an account” button.
5. Notice that you will be directed to a page where you will be asked to choose from the four membership types in Freelancer.com. Since you are new user and you do not have a sufficient balance yet, it is advisable to choose Free Membership. Take note that you will only be given ten allowable bids if your membership type is free. Later on, you can already change and upgrade your membership type if you meet all the requirements.
6. The next step will be on adding a verified payment method. If you have a credit card, paypal account, or a skrill account you might as well add it to your profile. You will be asked to fill out the required fields to verify your payment method. However, if ever you do not any of the specified payment method, you may choose to skip the step.
- a. If you choose to skip the step, you will be directed to your account dashboard. Notice that under the name and image box on the right corner of your page, there lies your account setup meter. Notice that your account is not yet complete. First, you need to verify your email address. Check your email and look for the verification message sent by Freelancer.com. Click on the link provided. After which, you will be directed to your account dashboard again.
7. After verifying your email address, you need to update your profile. Click on the profile button and look for the edit account setting. You will be asked to provide your full name, address, and your phone number (for account verification). Note that you also need to upload your photo—this is essential in completing your profile.
8. Next, as part of editing your profile, you have to set your hourly rate because this would reflect on your page. This will serve as one of the clients’ basis for hiring freelancers. After which, you need to add a subheading and your profile summary (you can specify your professional experience here). Along with your profile summary comes your resume. Click on the resume button on the lower left corner of your profile. Add in the details about your experience, education, certification, and publication.
9. Next, you need to edit one of the essential parts on your profile: your skills. There are 11 skill categories available; and within each category lies the various skills you can choose from. Look at the sample screenshot below for your reference. Be sure to click all the skills that you have for different clients around the world will browse through your profile. If they find you fitted for their need, they may contact you in an instant.
- Once you have finished editing your skills, you will be asked to take some examinations. This will increase your likelihood to get hired. There are two free examinations: the Employer Orientation and Freelancer Orientation. You can take these exams. If you already have available funds, you can already take the other examinations available for just $5.
With these ten essentials steps, you can already create a 100% complete account on Freelancer.com. You may encounter other steps and processes along the way such as adding a verified payment method. However, if you are just starting your career, you may skip these processes until you have already met all the specified requirements for the process.
But for now, you can already start bidding for projects that suits your skills. Do not bid for projects that are beyond your capacity since it is crucial for you, as a freelancer, to provide the best service for your client. This will help you gain good feedbacks; in return, this would increase your chances of getting hired for more projects.
Follow our step by step tutorial for beginner, and for sure you can already start your career as a freelance worker. Happy freelancing!