US insists North Korea must take Sony hack blame

US insists North Korea must take Sony hack blame

The US has rejected North Korea’s claim that it was not responsible for a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures.

North Korea strongly denies carrying out the attack and invited the US to take part in a joint investigation.

A senior US security official said North Korea should instead “admit culpability and compensate Sony”.

North Korea strongly objects to Sony Pictures’ satirical film, The Interview, which portrays the fictional killing of its leader, Kim Jong-Un.

After the attack and threats, Sony cancelled the Christmas Day release of the film.

Responding to anonymous threats against cinemas, Sony said it was considering releasing it “on a different platform”.

The FBI said on Friday that North Korea had carried out last month’s cyber-attack, in which script details and private emails were leaked.

The US defended its findings on Saturday, with US National Security spokesman Mark Stroh saying: “We are confident the North Korean government is responsible for this destructive attack.”

“If the North Korean government wants to help, they can admit their culpability and compensate Sony for the damages this attack caused,” he said.

North Korea says the film hurts the “dignity of its supreme leadership”
 The cyber-attack has left Sony Pictures reeling from a massive leak of information

On Saturday, the North Korean foreign ministry said: “As the United States is spreading groundless allegations and slandering us, we propose a joint investigation with it into this incident.”

“We have means to prove that this incident has nothing to do with us.”

The statement said there would be “grave consequences” if the Americans rejected their inquiry proposal.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30562029

Comments

comments

About The Author

Related posts